Re: curl server certificate verification failed for a few sites

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: curl server certificate verification failed for a few sites
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 18:14:42 +0200

Hi Jack,

thanks for your help!
...and sorry if this is not Guix specific

Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us> writes:

[...]

> I think that this is due to the recent AdTrust Root CA cert expiration
> [0]. The error wget gives is a little bit better, but you know about the
> situation to interpret it correctly:
>
> """
> $ wget "https://voices.transparency.org"; -O /dev/null
> --2020-06-04 10:37:29--  https://voices.transparency.org/
> Resolving voices.transparency.org (voices.transparency.org)...
> 52.4.225.124, 52.4.240.221, 52.1.119.170, ...
> Connecting to voices.transparency.org
> (voices.transparency.org)|52.4.225.124|:443... connected.
> ERROR: The certificate of ‘voices.transparency.org’ is not trusted.
> ERROR: The certificate of ‘voices.transparency.org’ has expired.
> """

oh I see, I get this error also... but I do not understand the different
behaviour with what I see in Firefox (from Debian) or ungoogled-chromium
(from Guix): using one of those browsers the certificate is valid, the
certificate viewer shows that the root in cert hierarchy is "USERTrust
RSA Certification Authority"

The section in [0] titled "Certificate Chain Diagram" states:

A legacy browser or older device that does not have the modern
“USERTRust” root would not trust it and so would look further up the
chain to a root it does trust, the AddTrust External CA Root. A more
modern browser would have the USERTrust root already installed and trust
itwithout needing to rely on the older AddTrust root.

I do not fully understand why curl and wget return error while Firefox
and ungoogled-chromium not

[...]

> Therefore, I think the fix is for voices.transparency.org to update the
> certificate chain/bundle that they are sending.
>
> [0]
> https://support.sectigo.com/Com_KnowledgeDetailPage?Id=kA03l00000117LT

this page states:

Will my certificate still be trusted after May 30, 2020?

Yes. All modern clients and operating systems have the newer, modern
COMODO and USERTrust roots which don’t expire until 2038.

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures