Re: Playing video in browser

From: excalamus
Subject: Re: Playing video in browser
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 23:36:48 +0200 (CEST)

Jun 4, 2020, 15:39 by mail@ambrevar.xyz:

> It's not very obvious what to document it since it applies to all
> WebKitGTK.

One idea is to indicate the relationship between packages.  For example,

guix package -s gstreamer | less
+ Applications can take advantage of advances in codec and filter technology
+ transparently.  Developers can add new codecs and filters by writing a simple
+ plugin with a clean, generic interface.
+
+ This package provides the core library and elements.  <new>See gst-plugins-*
for additional codecs, filters, and functionality.</new>

Another is to describe an end-user's perspective of the gst-plugins-*.  The
description taken from GStreamer  focuses on licensing and is
developer-centric.  It's unclear as a user that the plugins may solve my
problem.  Maybe something like,

guix package -s gst-plugins-ugly | less
functionality</new>.  This set contains those plug-ins which
+ the developers consider to have good quality code but that might pose
+ distribution problems in some jurisdictions, e.g.  due to patent threats.

> It's part of the "general software knowledge".  For instance, if you
> install an archiver like `atool', it's your reponsibility to install the
> backends (unzip, p7zip, etc.) to support the various archive formats.
> Where to document this?  I don't know, but it's unclear that Guix is the
> place.

I follow you.  Some tools, like `atool`, make that responsibility clear in
their documentation.  Unfortunately, GStreamer is not as clear.  That's an
upstream issue.

Guix could help users by providing a recipe or a ready-to-use package.
Is the Guix Cookbook not an appropriate place for a tutorial on setting up a
Guix System for general web viewing?  This seems within Guix's purview.

I couldn't find a webviewer through Guix which allowed me to view the Guix
videos out-of-the-box.

I'm happy to help with any of these.