Re: Profiles for Python projects

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Profiles for Python projects
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:22:09 +0200

Hi Zelphir,

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

> I create a profile with that and it works fine:
>
> guix package --manifest="manifest.scm"
> --profile="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/my-env/my-env
>
> Then I do the sourcing:
>
> GUIX_PROFILE="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}/my-env/my-env"; source
> "${GUIX_PROFILE}/etc/profile"

[...]

> I also get a path in the profile I created. So far all seems to just
> work. However, then I hit a snag when trying to run the tests of the
> project:
>
> LOG_LEVEL="DEBUG" PYTHONPATH="$(pwd)/my_project" python3 -m pytest -m
> "my_test_marker" -s -vvv
>
> I now get the error:
>
> No module named pytest

This is because you are overriding PYTHONPATH.  If you run it as ...

  LOG_LEVEL="DEBUG" PYTHONPATH="$(pwd)/my_project:$PYTHONPATH" python3 -m
pytest -m "my_test_marker" -s -vvv

... you might have better luck.  Guix relies on PYTHONPATH to make
Python modules available because there is no single site-packages
directory like in some other distributions.

HTH!
Marius