Re: Building packages in REPL

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Building packages in REPL
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:00:17 +0200

Dear,

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 09:25, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> wrote:
> Anthony Quizon <anthoq88@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way that I can build a package via the repl?

Well, it is not what you are asking I guess, but it is possible:

$ guix repl
scheme@(guix-user)> (use-modules (guix scripts build))
scheme@(guix-user)> (guix-build "-L" "." "bonjour")
/gnu/store/m658csbnly6zywfl5nax9glya3rzhbdy-bonjour-2.10

And there is no '~' expansion so "-L" "~/somewhere" does not work.

> As far as I know, no. I have been looking for this as well,
> in order to make package development more interactive.

Well, I do not know enough the API but it should be added and exposed if
it does not exist yet.  And the question is which level of granularity?

>> For example,
>> If I had a channel with a custom package in it, can I do:
>>
>> `$ guix repl -L .`
>> `> ,use (my-channel packages base) `
>> `> (build-package my-package) ;; this is the example imaginary command `

The entry point is "(guix scripts build)".

> I'd even want more: access to the individual build steps.

Do you mean the "phases"?

All the best,
simon