Re: Gitlab CI

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Gitlab CI
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 16:30:39 +0200

Hello!

I’m late to the party but I’m interested in this discussion…  :-)

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> skribis:

> I am experimenting with Gitlab CI for a Guile project I am working on.
> It is managed with Hall and I would like to benefit the Guix features.

GitLab CI can run jobs directly in a Docker image:

  https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/ci/docker/using_docker_images.html

So it would be interesting to have any easy way for people to create a
Docker image for this purpose.

Colleagues of mine tried ‘guix system docker-image’ for that but that
turns out to not quite work (IIRC gitlab-runner tries to do ‘docker exec
your build command’, which fails here because those images have shepherd
as their entry point).

So presumably a better option is to use an image created like this:

  guix pack -f docker -S /bin=bin guix --localstatedir

and then, in the image, you first need to spawn guix-daemon, perhaps
with ‘--disable-chroot’ because the image lacks build users.

It would be useful also to set the user under which commands run in the
image, similar to the ‘USER’ directive in Dockerfiles.

Thoughts?

It would be nice to make that as smooth as possible and to add a recipe
in the cookbook!

Ludo’.