Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 09:49:47 -0700

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 09:31:41AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > fwiw, i've used msys2 (not so much anymore, but i still would if i had
> > to ...), easy to install, update, well maintained, very friendly on irc
> > when i needed to ask for help ...:
> >
> >     https://www.msys2.org/
> >
> > it has guile-2.2.7-1, threaded (which I've used. it works ...)
>
> AFAIU, that's not a native Windows port, that's an MSYS2 port, which
> is almost the same as a Cygwin build (MSYS2 is a fork of Cygwin).
>
> IOW, you cannot link the MSYS2 libguile with a native MinGW program,
> such as GDB or Gnu Make (or Lilypond, or any other application
> mentioned in this thread).  Right?

That is correct. When you try to build windows application in the
MinGW project, often times you need to run a configure script that may
require tools that don't have native windows versions. The way MinGW
helps these configure scripts run is by taking advantage of the the
MSYS2 environment -- which is similar to Cygwin -- so that has enough
tools to run a configure script.  It includes a version of Guile for
the purpose of running configure.

Like Cygwin, MSYS2 also has a big library that emulates POSIX that
everything links to.  The difference betwen MSYS2 and MinGW is that
MinGW apps try to link directly to windows libraries without linking
to an emulation library.

-Mike Gran