Re: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?

From: Tirifto
Subject: Re: Desktop graphics cards with working acceleration?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:07:35 +0200

Hello!

Le Wed, 29 Jul 2020 20:11:32 -0500,
Matthew Brooks <matthewfbrooks@mailbox.org> a écrit :

> Does anyone happen to know of any desktop graphics cards that have
> working acceleration for basic gaming (compatible with a PCI express
> x16 slot)? My laptop has an integrated intel card, so it can play
> basic stuff (Doom, etc.) just fine, but my desktop pretty much turns
> anything gaming related into a slideshow, despite it having far
> better specs, since my current card requires proprietary drivers for
> proper performance.
>
> I did a bit of internet searching, but didn't find any results that
> looked relevant.

There is a database of libre-software-compatible hardware at
<h-node.org>, hosted by the Free Software Foundation. While it’s
probably missing a lot of devices, searching for video cards with PCI-e
interface and working 3D acceleration yields quite a few results¹, so
you could look into those.

Best wishes
// Tirifto

1.