Re: Newbie tries to add a snippet to an origin

From: divoplade
Subject: Re: Newbie tries to add a snippet to an origin
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 17:44:50 +0200

Hello,

Le samedi 01 août 2020 à 08:26 -0700, John Soo a écrit :
> What build system are you using? How do you use your version number?

I am using the standard gnu build system with a git repository [1]. The
version number is computed with "git describe --tags" (plus a little
sed "s/^v//g"), and I wish to use it to fix configure.ac. I can also
read the version number from a file in the repository (.tarball-
version), but it will not be part of a commit.

I have defined a guix template for two packages, "pomdappi" and
"pomdappi-dist", and I use the git repository and the gitlab CI
environment variables to fill in the blanks [2]. The "pomdappi-dist"
package creates the release tarball for "pomdappi", with the (dist-
package) constructor. The problem is that using a git source, I cannot
run "git describe"; so I need to patch the git source to add the
version number.

divoplade

[1]
https://framagit.org/divoplade/pomdappi/-/tree/8-make-the-version-computation-reproducible