Re: Guix's enchant misreports numerals on Debian---both buster and bulls

From: Jorge P . de Morais Neto
Subject: Re: Guix's enchant misreports numerals on Debian---both buster and bullseye
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 17:31:57 -0300

> Maybe you could use hunspell directly as your enchant?  Not sure if
> that works, I'm not an emacs user.

Emacs does support several other spell checkers, but I want to use
enchant in order to share the user dictionary with other applications
that use enchant.

> With these, on Guix System, I was able to reproduce the behavior of
> debian's enchant.  Numerals are not marked as incorrect anymore.

Yes, same here.  Thank you!

> Hunspell itself doesn't flag "doesn" as incorrect, whereas enchant
> does, despite using the same dictionary.  If this is also the case on
> Debian, we might have found a bug in enchant.

The command-line tool enchant-2 misreports "doesn't", but Gedit, which
very probably uses Enchant, correctly accepts "doesn't and four other
contractions I tested.  It seems Gedit calls the enchant library in a
different way than Enchant's own command-line tool.

The reason to believe that Gedit uses Enchant are:
1. Wikipedia says so
2. Gedit's spell checker correctly accepts every word I have in the
   Enchant user dictionary.

Best regards

--
- <https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/>
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.