Re: Profile's LD_LIBRARY_PATH by default

From: david larsson
Subject: Re: Profile's LD_LIBRARY_PATH by default
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:10:37 +0000

On 2020-10-28 13:49, Sébastien Lerique wrote:
Dear all,

This question could stem from a simpler example, but I think in this
case it doesn't change much. So I'll go with my use case:

While running a racket program which uses OpenCV, I realised that my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not contain my user's profile libs. I have
`libopencv*.so` in `~/.guix-profile/lib/`, but running a racket
program which needs that fails:

```
$ racket capture.rkt
ffi-lib: couldn't open "libopencv_core.so" (libopencv_core.so: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory)
```

While running

```
env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/sl/.guix-profile/lib/ racket capture.rkt
```

works.

(Also, this <http://0x0.st/ik3s.txt> is the output of `env
LD_DEBUG=libs racket capture.rkt`.)

Is this normal behaviour, i.e. that the path to dynamic libs installed
in my user profile should be manually configured in my shell startup
scripts? Should this not be included in `~/.guix-profile/etc/profile`?

Thanks all, and best wishes!
Sébastien

Hi!

I wondered the same, and got answer in the IRC #guix that setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is highly discouraged (unless you have a specific and good reason to do so in a specific case - never globally). I a good explanation about it here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060719201954/http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

A good example of how it can go wrong:

"In its startup script[a program called WidgetMan], it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to its copy of Motif so it uses that one when it runs. As it happens, WidgetMan is designed to launch other programs too. Unfortunately, when WidgetMan launches other apps, they inherit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting and some Motif based apps now break when run from WidgetMan because WidgetMan's Motif is incompatible with (but the same library version as) the system Motif library. Bummer!"