Re: Some (little) problems about contributing to the translation of guix

From: Hubert Lombard
Subject: Re: Some (little) problems about contributing to the translation of guix-manual
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:18:49 +0100

Hi, Miguel and help-guix!

Le Fri, 30 Oct 2020 00:42:58 +0100,
Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <rosen644835@gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
> > (while Poedit told me that there were no errors in the translation
> > :-)
>
> It's possible that poedit uses msgfmt underneath to check the
> translation, so it only will warn you you about newlines at the end of
> the string when the original doesn't have it and things like that, but
> unfortunately not about the texinfo syntax.  And about the tags:
>
> - @example/@lisp: Its a code fragment used to show something to the
>   reader.  The comments usually should be translated, even though some
>   words may reference API or other code names outside the example, so
> it can be tricky.  Usually the code can be "adapted" in varying
> degree; sometimes you can translate almost everything and only the
> keywords of the language stay the same keeping the same semantics,
> but lots of times you cannot change almost any letter as everything
> are API identifiers and changing it would modify the semantics of the
> example.
>
> - @var: It indicates a reference to something that can be
>   provided/modified by the end-user, and usually its content can be
>   translated, always matching the translation used in all its
>   references, and, maybe some @example/@lisp code it references.
>
> - @code, @command, @env, @file and @option: They indicate text with
> some kind of meaning to the computer, either API identifiers or code
>   fragments (@code), commands that could be executed (@command),
>   environment variables (@env), file references (@file) or options for
>   the executable(s) that the manual is written for (@option).  Its
>   contents shouldn't be translated, unless they really refer to an
>   example that has already been adapted to the language.
>
> - @indicateurl, @ref, @xref and @pxref: They indicate links to other
>   documents (@indicateurl), or to other sections of the manual itself
>   (@?*ref).  These are the trickiest from my point of view.  As Julien
>   explained, these identifiers are changed automatically during the
>   manual translation generation, but not all parameters (think of them
>   as function calls) are really the same.  The first one shouldn't be
>   translated, and usually it's the only one, neither the external
>   references (the ones with 5 parameters) as there is no translation
> for most of GNU manuals.  Only the second and third parameters when
> they are the last ones should be translated.  The tag @indicateurl
> also has this semantics.  As an example from my translation, the
> original text
>
> "@pxref{fallback-option,, common build option @option{--fallback}}"
>
> Translates to this in spanish:
>
> "@pxref{fallback-option,, opción común de construcción
> @option{--fallback}}"
>
> I think these should be the most common ones, at least the ones from
> the top of my head.
>
> Or, like the manual could say:  @xref{Top,,, texinfo, GNU Texinfo} or
> @indicateurl{https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html},
> for more information about these tags.  ;-)

These explanations are going to be very useful, I copied them in my personal
documentation.
in order to be able to study them in more detail later :-)

> [...]
> >> If you're not working on that file right now, I can take care of
> >> fixing these issues and give you control over the file again
> >> tomorrow morning.
>
> I have to say thank you too, even though I'm not a French user,
> because these are the things make this community really great. :-)

Yes, by the way, Julien has fixed the problems since yesterday and made the .po
valid!
I hope to be able to meet you all soon at an event ;-)

> > It's very nice of you, I'd like you to take care of it if you
> > can. Tomorrow morning, I will study carefully what you will have
> > done. Really, thank you Julien!
> >
> > I also read your answers on git clone, I'll take good note of them
> > too ;)
>
> Tomorrow I'll be available some time on IRC too, usually by the
> initial letters of my name.  You can check on the channel too if you
> have any doubt or issue.
>
> > Well, I'm going to go rest a little bit!
> >
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > Thanks to you!
>
> Good night, and thanks to you, both, again! :-)
>
> And just one comment from an older mail:
>
> Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> writes:
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 20:42:05 +0100
> > Miguel Ángel Arruga Vivas <rosen644835@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'm sure you'll advance more, just wanted to ensure. :-)
> >
> > Yes, I can advance enough for now, at the end of this day, I hope to
> > have 88% or more translated. Don't worry for your "I'm sure", I had
> > understood ;-)
>
> Sorry, and thanks for your understanding.  I was trying to write
> something to encourage you somehow, but I left it to the end as I
> didn't find the words... and I sent it by mistake. :-(

Don't worry, I also feel the fervor in which you are involved and your answers
on the translation and git clone were very helpful to me.
I will be able to take some time to assimilate all this...

See you soon

--
Hubert