Correct formatting of Guile in Emacs

From: Phil
Subject: Correct formatting of Guile in Emacs
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 21:03:19 +0000

Hi,

I'm in a position where I have quite a few packages built that I'd like
to contribute to Guix.

I'm writing these in emacs with scheme-mode/geiser installed.  However
I've noted that any attempt to align my Guile code (eg M-x indent-region)
results in code being aligned under the previous lines' parameter rather
than simply indenting.

So my code looks much wider, and uglier (IMHO) than that in the Guix repo:

(something like
  (this type
    (of format)))

ends up being reformated by Emacs to look like this:

(something like
           (this type
                 (of format)))

The more nesting and split lines the crazier this gets.  Some packages
are unreadable using emacs' default scheme indentation without a large monitor!

It seems like an simple question (hopefully not too off-topic!) - but
how do I make Emacs conform to code alignments rules adopted by Guile/Guix repo?

Is there an off-the-shelf setting, package or setup I can use?

The Guile manual mentions "Emacs has good support for Scheme out of the
box, with sensible indentation rules" - but these defaults seem at odds
with the Guix repo (or I'm doing something daft!):

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Using-Guile-in-Emacs.html#Using-Guile-in-Emacs

Thanks,
Phil.