Re: error: "cannot download for method git-fetch"

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: error: "cannot download for method git-fetch"
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 14:15:23 +0100

Hi Hartmut,

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 13:34, Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -u vis> gnu/packages/text-editors.scm:81:2:
> error: cannot download for this
> method: #<procedure git-fetch (ref hash-algo hash #:optional name #:key
> system guile git)>
>
> Updating some other package, which is using http-fetch, works. So this
> seams to be related to git.
>
> Looks like something missing. Any hints?

Maybe I misread, but it is not possible to refresh packages with
’git-fetch’ as source because of:

(define %method-updates
  ;; Mapping of origin methods to source update procedures.
  `((,url-fetch . ,package-update/url-fetch)))

and

       (match (assq method %method-updates)
         (#f
          (raise (make-compound-condition
                  (formatted-message (G_ "cannot download for \
this method: ~s")
                                     method)

in ’package-update’ from (guix upstream).

Well, it should be possible and as you said: «looks like something is
missing.»  :-)

Hope that helps,
simon