Re: Problems with network in installation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Problems with network in installation
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:57:49 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 10:38:26AM +0100, chalamov--- via wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can not connect to wi-fi during the installation of the Gnu Guix. I don't
> know what to do.
> Could you help me?
>
> Greetings,
> Maria

Sadly many (all?) modern Wi-fi devices have no support for the
Linux-libre kernel.  See
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html#Hardware-Considerations>.

It is lilkely that you can press Ctrl+Alt+F3 in the Guix installer and
then run “lspci” to see which device you have for networking.

Many approaches are possible.  Either:

1) Get a Wi-fi device (for example, a USB Wi-fi dongle) that is
   supported on Linux-libre.  See <https://www.h-node.org/>.

2) Use a cable connection instead of wi-fi.

3) Use a kernel with support for your Wi-fi device.  Guix does not
   support such kernels.

4) Use Guix on a foreign distribution.

Regards,
Florian