Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me

From: Tirifto
Subject: Re: How to check Guix servers have Ungoogled-Chrome substitutions for me?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 20:17:44 +0100

Le Sat, 27 Feb 2021 17:14:19 +0000,
znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :

> Hello, Guix Help!

Hello!

> I often run `guix pull && guix package -u` and sometimes it tooks too
> much time, and my fan is noisy because some heavy package (like
> Icecat or Ungoogled-Chromium or LibreOffice0 is compiling from
> sources.
>
> It's a pity, because to get the newest version of such is not
> included into my wish list, and I waste time.
>
> Is there some 'guix' command run that will download updates and will
> check which packages are to be substitued, and which are to be
> compiled?
>
> I want to see this. And then I want to solve to prevent compilation
> of LibreOffice, Chromium, Icecat if they are to be compiled.
>
> Please, show me this hack.

You can run ‘guix weather [package-name-1] [package-name-2] […]’ to see
if substitutes are available for any given set of packages. I do this
for packages that I know are going to get upgraded and would take a
long time to build on my system. But chances are that the solutions
other have posted can already do this better for you.

Best of wishes
// Tirifto