Re: Haskell program build and run using Cabal

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Haskell program build and run using Cabal
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:12:08 -0400

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> I am trying to build a Haskell program from source and run it.  I am
> using Cabal a Haskell build tool to do this.  I am able to build and run
> this program without the following error messages on other Linux
> operating systems.
>
> [snip]
>
> Doing an internet search for this error message shows people dealing
> with it by setting environment variables.
>
> With Cabal's `new-build` and `new-run` commands I am running into issues
> with environment variables.  Are environment variables managed in Guix
> system configurations?  I searched the Guix manual for the search term
> "environment variable" and did not see a prominent section on
> environment variables.  That leads me to guess that in Guix environment
> variables are left to configuration files in the users home directory.

Guix System (unsurprisingly) has a built-in preference for building
packages with Guix. For building Haskell programs, check out the
`haskell-build-system`, which uses cabal and ghc under the hood.

Also, if the package you want to install exists on Hackage
(https://hackage.haskell.org) but doesn't have a corresponding Guix
package, you should check out the Guix hackage importer:

$ guix import hackage -r PACKAGE-NAME@VERSION

This can auto-generate a Guix package definition for the corresponding
Hackage package that you can then use to install it through Guix.

Finally, to answer your question about environment variables, you should
stick them in your home directory under your shell configuration script
(e.g., ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile).

Happy hacking,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.