Re: (No Subject)

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: (No Subject)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:07:31 -0400

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> On 2021-04-11, Joshua Branson wrote:
>> reduxmotion <Mark@reduxmotion.com> writes:
>>> Is it possible to modify installation boot menu, to allow non-Free firmware
>> A good solution to your problem might be to use hardware that supports
>> free software.
>> Also think penguin, za reason, and purism, system76, raptor computing,
>> PineBook Pro ($200) all offer modern computers that you can purchase.
>
> I wouldn't exactly recommend the PineBook Pro at this point; needs a lot
> of work in the kernel to get properly supported, and has some firmware
> issues for what people expect of a laptop.
>
> I suspect the raptor computing boards also are in the category of "needs
> work", even if theoretically they may someday be a very nice option.
>
> So it depends if you want a computer that "just works" vs. a project to
> spend a good deal of time to help make it better. :)

Thanks for the tips vagrant!  I would probably recommend that someone
who wants to use Guix system, should probably just go with a ThinkPad
T400 or T200.  You can probably buy one of those on ebay for $200-$400.
Those are one of the few laptops that can be freed all the way down to
the BIOS.

I personally do not use libreboot (I use the nonfree fork), because
under intense load, my T400 crashes.  Using the nonfree fork of
libreboot, my T400 does not crash under heavy load.  And I use the sway
window manager, with Firefox (is it ok to mention Firefox in this email
channel?) via flatpak.

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus