Re: Bug? Importing (gnu rest ...) fails due to lack of patch files on bu

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: Bug? Importing (gnu rest ...) fails due to lack of patch files on build side.
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 19:36:18 +0200

David Dashyan schreef op di 27-04-2021 om 20:03 [+0300]:

> Hello, Maxime!
>
> > No, it is not supposed to work!  Only guix/build/... and
> > gnu/build/utils/...  (and maybe others I forgot) are supposed to be
> > imported, so source-module-closure excludes other modules.  The reason
> > is that gnu/packages/*.scm are supposed to be changeable without
> > causing any change in derivation hash (and therefore resulting in
> > rebuilds).
> Ah, great! I'm glad I got definitive answer to this question.  But I
> don't get the last sentence.  Changeable when?  You mean that by
> including (gnu package ...) in inputs of a derivation change in
> gnu/package/*scm files will cause change of derivation hash?

If you mean:
All package, services, etc ... derivations that include the (gnu packages ...)
module (and its dependencies) would have a change in derivation hash,
then yes.

> But why it is a problem for service derivations?

It guess for service derivations (FWIW, that's not an ‘official’ term, I think),
this isn't much of a problem.  I still recommend using
(with-extensions (list guix) ...) or similar though (with the caveat that
the 'guix' package isn't always the latest guix, so you may want to consider
inferiors or something).

> As I understand it won't cause
> change in other package derivations hashes propagating down the graph.
> Service derivation sits on the leaf of dependency graph.  Or I missing
> something?
No, that's correct.

> > > Some context to why am I doing it in the first place.  I found this
> > > out while I was implementing "guix-cloud-init" service.  The service
> > > to simplify guix deployment to digialocean, aws and others.
> > > Cloud-init is widely used way of configuring cloud vm instances and
> > > it works by providing metadata via mounted storage or link-local
> > > address http endpoint.  This includes ip addresses, devices, ssh keys
> > > etc...  So given you have a guix image with guix-cloud-init service
> > > you can upload to your cloud and it will "just work". :)
>
> Do you know about "guix deploy"?
> [Plenty of text]

I'm not familiar with clouds that aren't

 aerosol consisting of a visible mass of minute liquid droplets, frozen
crystals,
 or other particles suspended in the atmosphere of a planetary body or similar
space.
 (Source: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud>, accessed 2021)

so I'm afraid I don't have much to say here, but your idea of skipping Debian
seems better than is done currently!

Greetings,
Maxime