Re: partition table on guix system

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: partition table on guix system
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:42:11 +0200

Hey,

> Everything works perfectly! (notice: I only tried until the installer
> generated the /etc/config.scm file).

Glad to hear that :).

> 2. I found a problem: if, during the manual partitioning, you delete a free
> space (by mistake), the installation crashes  (see picture) and you have to
> start again from the beginning (language choice). I had the same problem with
> the official 1.3 installation image.
>
> Besides, I have three things to share (either with the 1.2, 1.3 or the one
> tested today). I hesitated to do three separate emails, but I may have
> misunderstood something about the installation process and don't want to
> pollute the guix email.

No that's a legitimate bug report! Could you please send a mail to
bug-guix@gnu.org about that one, so that it is easier for us to track
it?

> A. About the time zone configuration: when you start the installation process
> from a reboot, you have to select the city with the arrows (and not by typing
> the first letter of the city: example Europe/Zurich) but when you interrupt
> an installation and start again from the beginning (=
> the choice of the installation language), when you get to the choice of the
> time zone, you can type in the first letter of the city and the installer
> selects directly the city that starts with this letter. It is not a problem
> concerning the choice of the time zone but rather that the process
> of resuming the installation from the language does probably not completely
> start from the beginning (?). I just wanted to point it out.

That's strange, letter based selection is supposed to be active from the
start, I'll check why.

> B. I would find it very useful if the installer offered to set up a print
> cups service when selecting services. Editing the /etc/config.scm file to set
> up cups is the first thing I do after any installation.

It has been reported here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/38161. We should
definitely add it.

> C. About the choice of the keyboard layout "fr_CH.utf8": strangely (i.e.
> contrary to debian installer for example), you have to choose "German
> (Switzerland)" first and then the variant "French (Switzerland)". It is not
> intuitive to choose a "French (Switzerland)" keyboard in the
> "German (Switzerland)" category. The debian installer proposes directly the
> keyboard "fr_CH.utf8" when you choose the regional settings Switzerland /
> French.

We are following the structure dictated by the xkeyboard-layout package,
I don't remember exactly how the Debian installer deals with it, but
I'll check it.

Thanks for your help,

Mathieu