Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: Making a DIY smart or dumb phone
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 00:11:59 +0000

July 24, 2021 1:45 PM, "Jonathan McHugh" <indieterminacy@libre.brussels> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how regulated is ham radio in the USA? I lament that your
> cultural emphasis on
> freedom of expression didnt extend into freedoms for 'classic' radio
> channels. Is it better for ham
> radio?

I've no idea.  I do not have my ham license, but my buddy told me that
technically I am NOT supposed
to use ham radio for boss/employee communications....I've got some relatives
that live out
in the country...I can do testing there.  "FCC won't let me be me..." in the
city.  In the country,
it's you and three cows for three miles.

> From Europe it appears as if ICT infrastructure in the USA looks godawful
> (like AT&T), has there
> been much pushback with grounds up mesh networks?

I am also really not familiar.  I know that the https://jmp.chat project hopes
to use local radios
to allow encrypted calls for up to 40+ miles in poor countries.  They would
probably have more
information that I do.  The main developer is easy to get ahold of in his XMPP
support chat room.