Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party

From: Thiago Jung Bauermann
Subject: Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 18:44:17 -0300

Hello,

Em terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2021, às 17:54:16 -03, Joshua Branson
escreveu:
> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
> > Akib Azmain Turja <akib8492@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Vagrant Cascadian writes:
> >>

> >> The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that
> >> it's
> >> Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
> >> change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?
> >
> > I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.
> >
> > We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
> > certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...
>
> The hangout today was awesome!

It was!

> I and other mysterious and extremely talented C developer discovered the
> wonder of power9!
>
> guix environment -s powerpc64le-linux coreutils --ad-hoc coreutils gdb
>
> is a cool command that lets you create a guix binary that runs of
> powerpc.  You can then use said guix binary in qemu!  Though it might
> work faster if you had a power9 machine.

Thank you for the “extremely talented”. Not sure about that one. :-)

That is the command I’m using to investigate a test suite failure in the
‘coreutils-final’ package reported by CI¹. It will bring in the coreutils
build inputs as well as GDB. If you want a minimal environment you can use
this smaller alternative:

$ guix environment -s powerpc64le-linux --ad-hoc coreutils

It assumes that you have binfmt configured to launch the QEMU user
emulator. This happens automagically on Ubuntu (and I assume on Debian as
well) if you install the ‘qemu-user-static’ package.

It also works for other systems such as armhf-linux and aarch64-linux.

> This talented and mysterious developer also mentioned that IBM does
> provide power9 VMs that you can request access to, which would make the
> debbugging process a little smoothier.

Indeed! IBM provides free access to powerpc64le VMs for people doing open
source development:

https://openpower.ic.unicamp.br/minicloud/

I just noticed that there’s a Guix logo on that page, so I guess this isn’t
news for you. :-)

> I talked about my current email server and other things.

That was very informative. Thank you!

> Hopefully we will see more people next week!

And thanks again for organizing the hang out! It’s a great idea.

--
Thanks,
Thiago

¹ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/692547/details