Re: updating the daemon on Debian 11

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: updating the daemon on Debian 11
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 11:54:58 -0700

On 2021-09-09, Adriano Peluso wrote:
> I learned that in Debian 11 one can install Guix through apt

  apt install guix

That *should* start the daemon, enable substitutes, create the build
users, etc. You shouldn't have to do anything manually. It will, of
course, be a relatively old version of guix (1.2 in bullseye/stable, 1.3
in unstable/experimental) but you can update guix in the typical ways...

It is pretty similar to a foreign distro install from guix's binary
releases, for the differences, see /usr/share/doc/guix/README.Debian*

> What about updating the daemon ?

The short of it is, the daemon doesn't get updated. It shouldn't need to
most of the time... If there are daemon-relevent security updates, then
you get updates via "apt update && apt upgrade".

You can of course override that and manually configure guix-daemon that
you build in, say, root's profile if you want and need some new features
in the daemon.

> What's the procedure for a Guix installed through apt ?

  apt install guix

> And what's the procedure for updating a user profile ?

Same as on any guix installation:

  guix pull
  guix upgrade

To some extent, it just provides a trust path from Debian to getting a
guix that you then update through the normal guix mechanisms...

live well,
  vagrant