Re: Certificates in pure and containerized environments

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Certificates in pure and containerized environments
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 10:47:33 +0200

Hi Maxim,

> The key thing here is whether the certs are required by OpenSSL vs
> GnuTLS.  The former honors SSL_CERT_DIR, while the later does not (I

> I hope that helps!

Thanks, that certainly helps to understand the issues.

My preferred approach would be to manage all certificates as Guix
packages, and not have any environment variables.  That would be the
opposite of your proposal to make GnuTLS honor SSL_CERT_DIRS. It's
always a mess to have multiple uncoordinated environment managers.

I do see the difficulty for those who need personal certificates and
don't know how to package them in Guix, but that could be solved by a
dedicated tool.

Cheers,
  Konrad