Re: Crates versions and their replacement

From: phodina
Subject: Re: Crates versions and their replacement
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 07:11:57 +0000

Hi Hartmut,

On Tuesday, October 5th, 2021 at 8:19 PM, Hartmut Goebel
<h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> wrote:

> Am 03.10.21 um 09:02 schrieb phodina:
>
> > Now comes the question. How often should it be use and what are the
> >
> > pros and cons?
>
> I suggest to use this only if required, since versions are defined to
>
> strict.

Thanks for the answer. So there are only two options.

1. Create a patch for the package - that means bump up the version in the
Cargo.toml and fix all the stuff in the code so that it works. Then send this
PR to the project and include the patch in patches directory.

2. Include the required package definition in the Guix cargo-*.scm file even if
there is a version similar to the one that I package or if the version is an
older one.

The substitution is possible only in rare cases.

This is also probably applicable to other languages, right?