Re: Loading Common Lisp Libraries with GNU/Guix in a REPL

From: Edouard Klein
Subject: Re: Loading Common Lisp Libraries with GNU/Guix in a REPL
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:03:12 +0100

Hi !

I don't know the "correct" way to do it, but the way I do things is:

Create a manifest.scm or guix.scm file in the directory. Here is an
example manifest.scm file:

#+begin_src scheme
(define-module (osef)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (gnu packages)
  #:use-module (guix profiles)
  #:use-module (gnu packages lisp)
  #:use-module (gnu packages lisp-xyz)
  #:use-module (gnu packages readline)
  )

(packages->manifest
 (list sbcl sbcl-numcl rlwrap))
#+end_src

Then I run guix shell, which will automatically load this manifest.scm
file.

Then, same as you, I run rlwrap sbcl.

Finally I invoke the following in sbcl:

#+begin_src lisp
    (load "~/.emacs.d/elpa/27.2/develop/slime-20211021.507/swank-loader.lisp")
;; Found using find .emacs.d/ -iname '*swank*'
    (swank-loader:init)
    (swank:create-server)
#+end_src

This allows my emacs instance, which lives outside the guix shell, to
communicate with the sbcl instance which lives inside. I don't want to
pollute each project with my emacs config, which is done once and for
all for all projects.

To connect: M-x slime-connet, enter, enter.

Then I just (require :numcl) (for example). I did not need to use asdf,
although this may be package-specific. I remember being unable to load a
package once, but I don't rememder which or why (sorry).

So basically, the same as you already do.

If there is a more canonical way, I'd be happy to know :)

Cheers,

Edouard.