Re: Foreign distro Unity desktop broken after guix update

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: Foreign distro Unity desktop broken after guix update
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:59:34 +0100

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:45:26 +0000
Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@posteo.net> wrote:

> > I added
> > ```
> > export
> > GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE=/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache:/home/thorwil/.guix-profile/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
> > export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/home/thorwil/.guix-profile/lib
> > ```
> > to .profile. Now I have all icons back! Guess there’s a better way?
>
> Nice! I'm not sure there's a better way, other than having guix control
> the full GNOME stack (which is probably not feasible or desirable on a
> foreign distro).

I since learned that setting the paths like that makes the Ubuntu-side
work, but guix stuff will fail. Gnucash bails out, Inkscape segfaults
and GIMP runs without toolbox icons. Also, with a bit of thought,
GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE must point to one file; it can’t be a chain of
paths.

Thus at the very least GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE must be one thing for
Ubuntu and another for guix. Short of running all guix-installed stuff
from a terminal after setting the variable there, is there any solution?

I also found out that plain `gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders` resolves to the
guix version. The Ubuntu version resides at
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders

My current theory is that this pixbuf-mixup has been going on for
longer, but only a recent guix update made stuff incompatible. In
addition, some caching might complicate matters.

Thank you for your thoughts, Fredrik!

--
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de>