Re: Aarch64 build of rust-1.39.0 fails

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Aarch64 build of rust-1.39.0 fails
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:18:31 -0500

Hi Denis,

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 21:55:21 -0500
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is not a Rust but a (known) mrustc issue, which is used to
>> bootstrap Rust starting at version 1.39.0.  It currently only supports
>> x86_64, although the author is interested in enabling support for
>> other architectures (a WIP).
> So that's why it also fails on i686.
>
> In that case would it be possible to revert to the way it
> was before for non x86_64 architectures (so without mrustc), when it's
> done to switch the remaining architectures to mrustc when they become
> ready for that?

Rust has been bootstrapped via mrustc since September 2018 (commit
3159ef7c99c646b78b04cedb1bd3525c301ef978); I don't think it supported
non-x86_64 back then, it's just that Rust wasn't as widely used as it is
today so it had a lesser impact.

The impact of the lack of Rust on non-x86_64 architectures has been
reduced on non-x86_64 architectures on the master branch by workarounds
such as using polkit-duktape in place of the regular polkit to avoid
requiring Rust for non-x86_64 architectures or an older librsvg that can
be used to build GTK without SVG support.

The i686 native build of rust 1.39 via mrustc nearly succeeds, but fails
due to GCC using too much memory (more than the 4 GiB limit imposed by
32 bit addressing).  With the growth of Rust, there's growing value in
contributing testing and patches to mrustc, so if you'd like to help
Rust on Guix, that's currently the best option to pursue (there's a
#mrustc channel on libera.chat where the mrustc author is often
available).  There's also a wip-cross-built-rust branch that I had
started; I stopped working on it after finding out rustc couldn't be
built statically; other than that it was working to build rust things on
non-x86_64 platforms.

Thanks,

Maxim