Re: Permanently available environments

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Permanently available environments
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 12:54:23 +0100

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I would like to migrate more of my software use to Guix-based
> containers, but I haven't yet found a way to handle them that fully
> suits my needs. The root issue is the volatility of environments, and I
> wonder if I am missing some feature to handle them better. Here is my
> current reasoning:
>
> 1. Containers can only be generated using "guix shell" or the older
>    "guix environment". There is no way to generate a container based
>    on a profile. Correct me if I am wrong!

Not sure if that’s what you mean, but you can use “guix shell” and “guix
environment” with “-p”:

    -p, --profile=PATH     create environment from profile at PATH

> 2. I have been using a plain "guix shell" for a while, but my
>    environments break too often after a "guix pull" to continue this
>    way. Most of my containerized environments contain no
>    security-critical software, so I'd be happy not to update them
>    very often (or not at all). That would be trivial with profiles,
>    but... point 1.

You can also use --root.

> 3. There's the –root option to "guix shell" to protect my environment
>    from the garbage collector. But there is no way to say "use the
>    environment pointed to by that root, no matter when and how it was
>    created".

Oh.

You can.  With “-p”.

I have to specify the packages with respect to the current

> 4. In practice, I often work with a bad or non-existing network
>    connection, so I must be sure to have all my packages in the store.
>    And if I use "time-machine", I must also keep the required Guix
>    version locally available. But there is no option for that in
>    "time-machine". The Guix versions it downloads are garbage-collected
>    after a while. So I can find myself in the situation of having all
>    the packages for my environment in the store, but unable to access
>    it without a network connection, because "time-machine" first needs
>    to fetch an old Guix version again.

I’m not using time-machine often enough to know what to suggest here.

--
Ricardo