Re: Permanently available environments

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Permanently available environments
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:19:24 -0800

On 2022-01-28, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> 4. In practice, I often work with a bad or non-existing network
>    connection, so I must be sure to have all my packages in the store.
>    And if I use "time-machine", I must also keep the required Guix
>    version locally available. But there is no option for that in
>    "time-machine". The Guix versions it downloads are garbage-collected
>    after a while. So I can find myself in the situation of having all
>    the packages for my environment in the store, but unable to access
>    it without a network connection, because "time-machine" first needs
>    to fetch an old Guix version again.

As I understand it, time-machine is basically a wrapper around "guix
pull" and the command you want to execute ... so you could use:

  guix pull --profile=path/to/a/profile --commit=...

And then call the guix from that profile:

  path/to/a/profile/bin/guix shell --container --mainifest=...

Maybe there is some more elegant way, but that should work...

live well,
  vagrant