Re: U-Boot for Raspberry Pi

From: Reza Alizadeh Majd
Subject: Re: U-Boot for Raspberry Pi
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:25:40 +0330

Hi Stefan,

First of all, thanks for your great work to bring the Guix for RPi.

>Your troubles might indicate that you didn’t properly mount the ext4
>and FAT file systems below /mnt. You should follow the manual
>regarding an EFI system¹: Mount the ext4 partition of the microSD card
>at /mnt and the FAT partition of the microSD card at /mnt/boot/efi –
>you will have to call ‘mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi’ after mounting the ext4
>partition and before mounting the FAT partition.
>
>> Do you have different suggestion on how to invoke the guix system
>> init command?
>
>Please separate build and installation. First build guix as described
>in the manual² without any sudo but inside its build environment with
>the amount of cores you like to use:
>
>$ guix environment --pure guix
>$ ./bootstrap
>$ ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>$ make -j 4
>$ exit
>
>Then use the new guix outside its build environment to initialize the
>system with sudo:
>
>$ sudo -E ./pre-inst-env guix system init --system=aarch64-linux
>gnu/system/examples/raspberry-pi-64.tmpl /mnt

I just followed your instructions from Guix host machine, but I faced
following error during the `guix system init process:

@ unsupported-platform
/gnu/store/4dc56sq286h0pdvs0s6917vvzlr9xsrg-module-import-compiled.drv
aarch64-linux
while setting up the build environment: a `aarch64-linux' is required to build
`/gnu/store/4dc56sq286h0pdvs0s6917vvzlr9xsrg-module-import-compiled.drv', but I
am a `x86_64-linux'

it seems that the `--system=aarch64-linux` doesn't work as expected to
cross-compile the image for RPi.

here is more details about my build process:
- I tried to build the Guix for RPi compute module 4 with embedded 32GB
  emmc.
- identified the `rootfs` and `boot` partitions using usbboot [1].
- mounted the `rootfs` to the `/mnt`
- created the `/mnt/boot/efi` prior to mounting the `boot` partition
  there.
- added following required initrd modules to the system configuration.

 (initrd-modules (append (list "uas" "usb_storage")
                                %base-initrd-modules))
  (initrd-modules (append (list "uas" "usb_storage")
  %base-initrd-modules))

1. https://github.com/raspberrypi/usbboot

Best,
Reza