Re: guix pull

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: guix pull
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:38:33 +0000

Now I did a guix pull in root.

It asks me at the end:

Hinweis: Nachdem Sie `PATH' festgelegt haben, sollten Sie `hash guix' ausführen, damit Ihre Shell `/root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix' verwendet.

What does it mean?

How do I "PATH"...

Gottfried

Am 16.02.22 um 21:09 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
Gottfried<gottfried@posteo.de>  writes:

Should I do a guix pull basically in my user account?

Or should I do a guix pull basically in the root account?

As far as I understood if I do a gux pull in my user account, it has
no influence to the root account?
This is correct.  As far as Guix is concerned “root” is just another
user account.

But If I do a guix pull only in my user account, it would mean, as far
as I understand it, the root account would not get security updates?
Correct.

Note that “guix pull” alone doesn’t upgrade any installed packages.  It
only gives you a new version of Guix which has access to updated packages.

What should be the procedure?
You can have all users on the machine share the same guix and/or the
same profile and upgrade just that.

On a single-user system it also makes sense to just not install any
software for the root user.