Re: guix pull

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix pull
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 23:36:58 +0100

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> If I do a guix pull at root, than the guix system is for root updated, I
> understood,
>
> does it mean that's it, and I don´t need to do a
>
> guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm, which I do for the user?

There seems to have been a misunderstanding; sorry for confusing you.

“guix pull” only updates the “guix” command.  It does so by installing a
new version of Guix (+ whatever channels you may have configured) to
~/.config/guix/current.  You can then use that new “guix” command to
upgrade or install new software.

“guix system reconfigure config.scm” on the other hand changes the
operating system according to the configuration file “config.scm”.
There’s only one system-wide operating system.  This action can only be
performed by the “root” user because it affects *all* users on the same
machine.

--
Ricardo