Re: Julia package management on GuixSD

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Julia package management on GuixSD
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:59:05 +0100

Hi Jacob,

First, to fix the issue, for now, you need 'p7zip' somewhere in your
PATH.  For instance,

        $ guix shell julia p7zip -- julia
        julia> using Pkg
        julia> Pkg.add("Plots")

Second, note that if you have installed Julia packages via Guix, then
Pkg should use them instead.  Although, we need to improve the
pre-compilation.

        $ rm ~/.julia
        $ guix shell julia p7zip julia-colortypes -- julia
        julia> using Pkg
        julia> Pkg.add("Plots")
        $ ls -1 ~/.julia/packages/ | grep ColorTypes

The package ColorTypes is reused from julia-colortypes.

Last, as you can see, 'p7zip' is an input of the Guix package julia.

    (inputs
     `(("coreutils" ,coreutils) ; for bindings to "mkdir" and the like
[...]
       ("p7zip" ,p7zip)
[...]

<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/julia.scm?id=5bae870e66f1ce4d6ca3d8ab5d958de693b88eee#n515>

However, this reference is not kept as Efraim said.  On easy solution is
to propagate this input but we would like a better fix. :-)

Hope that helps,
simon