Re: cannot boot from microSD card on aarch64 machine

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: cannot boot from microSD card on aarch64 machine
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 19:45:42 +0100

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> Are you sure the primary device is /dev/mmcblk1? On my pine64 it's
> mmcblk0.

There is no /dev/mmcblk0 when I boot either Guix System (from USB) or armbian
(from microsd).  /dev/mmcblk1 is the microSD card, at least in a booted
system.  The device name only matters for the installation of u-boot,
doesn’t it?  It has no impact on any runtime behavior, or does it?

> I'd start by putting u-boot and the image on the sd-card and see if Guix
> boots up that way. If it works then there's a larger chance there's a
> mistake somewhere in a config.

Okay.

> Perhaps you need to mark the USB drive as a dependency for your root
> partition?

I don’t want to boot from USB going forward.  I only do this so the
microSD card is not used for the system.

I want to have u-boot on the microsd card and then boot the system from
SSD.

> Actually, better idea. Try it with linux-libre-arm64-generic for the
> kernel. I haven't tried recently but in the past I haven't been able to
> use the linux-libre kernel with my pine64 and needed the arm64-generic
> version.

Okay, I’ll do that.  At least I know that this one works, because that’s
what the pinebook pro image uses — and that one works fine (from USB).

But at this point I’m not even complaining about the kernel, because
nothing at all happens when I power on the machine.  U-boot does not
seem to start.

--
Ricardo