glibc-utf8-locales

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: glibc-utf8-locales
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 10:59:08 +0100

Hi.  Reconfiguring my machine lately fails with:

root@hamster ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
guix system: error: glibc-utf8-locales: unknown package
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
srfi/srfi-1.scm:586:17: In procedure map1:
Throw to key `quit' with args `(1)'.
root@hamster ~#

I noticed the following commmit:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-commits/2022-02/msg01204.html

First, I wonder if this is optimal.  There must be many machines
(servers and embedded) where having all locales installed on is
wasteful, but where it is useful to have the C.UTF-8 and/or en_US.UTF-8
installed, to get minimal working UTF-8 support.  Making this hard to
achieve for users seems unhelpful to me.  I understand the motivation
for the patch, so I don't think it is necessarily wrong, just that
something more would also be useful.  Maybe it is just the documentation
part that could be improved).

Trying to follow its advice, I modified my config.scm [1] as follows:

(use-modules (gnu packages base)) ; make-glibc-utf8-locales
(define my-glibc-locales
  (make-glibc-utf8-locales
   glibc
   #:locales (list "en_US" "sv_SE")
   #:name "glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"))
(operating-system
  (packages (append (map specification->package
                         '("glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"

Thus letting "glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales" replace my earlier use
of "glibc-utf8-locales" in that package list stanza (which worked
happily for me for a long time).  However it results in the following
error:

root@hamster ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
guix system: error: glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales: unknown package
guix system: error: failed to load '/etc/config.scm':
srfi/srfi-1.scm:586:17: In procedure map1:
Throw to key `quit' with args `(1)'.
root@hamster ~#

I tried changing the definition into:

(define glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales
  (make-glibc-utf8-locales
   glibc
   #:locales (list "en_US" "sv_SE")
   #:name "glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"))

and even trying

(make-glibc-utf8-locales
 glibc
 #:locales (list "en_US" "sv_SE")
 #:name "glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales")

to prove that I'm clearly not understanding what I'm doing, however, it
still doesn't work.

Help?

/Simon

[1]