Re: Permanently available environments

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Permanently available environments
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 11:19:14 +0100

Hi Konrad,

Time has passed…

Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> skribis:

> Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> writes:
>
>> 1. Containers can only be generated using "guix shell" or the older
>>    "guix environment". There is no way to generate a container based
>>    on a profile. Correct me if I am wrong!
>
> Thanks to Ricardo and Guillaume, who pointed out the –profile option to
> "guix shell", which does exactly what I need. I missed it because it is
> not mentioned in the manual. I just submitted a patch.

Another option is to rely on the ‘time-machine’ and ‘shell’ LRU caches.
That is, you can run:

  guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell -m manifest.scm

Both tools cache their result, with a GC root (similar to what you would
do with ‘--root’), and reuse it (similar to ‘--profile’).  These two GC
roots may be removed if you’ve not touched them for some time, at which
point ‘guix gc’ can potentially remove these profiles.

Would it work for you?

I’m more comfortable recommending this than asking people to manually
manage cached profiles and GC roots.

Thanks,
Ludo’.