Re: glibc-utf8-locales

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: glibc-utf8-locales
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 10:28:10 +0000

Hullo Simon,

Simon Josefsson via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
>First, I wonder if this is optimal.  There must be many machines
>(servers and embedded) where having all locales installed on is
>wasteful, but where it is useful to have the C.UTF-8 and/or en_US.UTF-8
>installed, to get minimal working UTF-8 support.  Making this hard to
>achieve for users seems unhelpful to me.  I understand the motivation
>for the patch

I don't think you do, if that's what you thought it was ;-)

>  (packages (append (map specification->package
>                         '("glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"

You have a (probably left-over) specification->package call but no
"glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales"  package in Guix for it to find.  It does
not search the environment.

Remove the spec and refer to your custom variable directly, e.g.:

  (packages (append (list glibc-useful-swedish-utf8-locales ...) ...))

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.