Re: Nss libraries not found when using guix pack

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Nss libraries not found when using guix pack
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 11:40:50 +0100

Salut Jean-Christophe,  :-)

Jean-Christophe HAESSIG <haessigj@igbmc.fr> skribis:

> On 02/03/2022 10:46, Jean-Christophe HAESSIG wrote:
>
>> I tried to deploy Slurm using guix pack :
>> guix pack -R -S /sbin=sbin -S /bin=bin slurm@19.05.8 nss-pam-ldapd sssd
>>
>> User and authentication data comes from ldap (sssd). The libraries are
>> present but the Slurm binary does not find them, and fails with an
>> invalid user error.
>
> I jumped that hurdle with LD_PRELOAD, but this is not an acceptable fix
> of course.

Yeah, I did something similar in the past:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-08/msg00168.html

Maybe we could have a package transformation option, say
‘--with-nss-plugins=…’, that would wrap binaries to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH
pointing to the chosen NSS plugins.

Not pretty, but I’m afraid this is hardly avoidable.

Thoughts?

> However, I did that only to realize that Slurm in guix is compiled
> without mysql support, so I'll need to change the package, which I
> have never done.

This would be a welcome change, though it would have a noticeable impact
on the closure size:

$ guix size slurm |tail -1
total: 134.7 MiB
$ guix size slurm mariadb |tail -1
total: 421.4 MiB

> I wanted to use Slurm from Guix because Debian does not provide every
> possible Slurm version. This can be a problem when a Slurm cluster must
> be upgraded without shutting it down completely. I hoped to gain some
> independence from my host distribution but it appears that won't be so
> simple...

Interesting.  From our earlier discussion, this sounds like quite an
endeavor, but I’d be curious to know what the stumbling blocks are and
how we can overcome them!

Thanks,
Ludo’.