Guix for Corporate "Batch Jobs"?

From: Yasuaki Kudo
Subject: Guix for Corporate "Batch Jobs"?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 06:16:41 +0900

Hi,

In many so-called Application Support jobs in the enterprises, one of the core
responsibilities is to see through the daily completion of "batch jobs" - those
I/O heavy processes that take a long time to run, even with parallel processing.

And at the core of it is to "re-run" the jobs, after due troubleshooting.

In many workplaces I have seen, teams ended up writing their own job schedulers
based on cron or used proprietary software such as Autosys (and in Japan, there
are local brews such as A-Auto, if I remember the name correctly).

But none of the solutions above take good care of the mechanical incremental
computation aspect and a lot of optimization (say skip this and that because
they don't matter during re-runs) depend on the operators' sweat and judgement
😅

Can Guix be put into good use in this area do you think?  Or maybe another way
of asking this question is, can Guix be used a general compiler such as 'make'?
 Knowing that 'make' still exists so - is there any reason why Guix just can't
take over?

Maybe similar questions have been already asked in the Nix world as well?   I
would love to know! 😄

-Yasu