Re: Guix as remote dev machine

From: Brian Woodcox
Subject: Re: Guix as remote dev machine
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:08:20 -0600

I’m not sure if this will help you or not.

I screen share from OSX to a VM running Guix system on Unraid.

I have the following installed:

tigervnc-server 1.12.0-0.b484c22 installed.
xrandr 1.5.1

So I run the following command in a terminal window in Guix under my user:

x0vncserver -display :1 —PasswordFile=/home/me/.vnc/passwd

If you were to automate the above command, then you wouldn’t have to type it in
all the time.  For me since I’m using Unraid, I can just vnc into the VM and
execute the command.

So you probably already know this, but to remote into this from OSX, you would
do the following:

CMD-k while in the finder to connect to the server.
Type in vnc://me@192.168.0.xxx and connect.

Next.

xrandr will list the display resolutions supported by Guix.  In my case, I
didn’t see 2560x1440 (Apple Cinema Display), so I did the following:

xrandr —newmode “2560x1440”  312.25  2560 2752 3024 3488  1440 1443 1448 1493
-hsync +vsync

xrandr —addmode Virtual-1 2560x1440

xrandr -s 2560x1440

Use full screen on mac to fill whole screen.

Of course the above commands don’t stick.  So you have to re-enter them every
time.  I would work this out myself, but I’m just too busy.

Hope this helps.

Please share back your solution, I hope the above helps you in some way.

:)