Re: BUG? emacs helm conflicting entries

From: jgart
Subject: Re: BUG? emacs helm conflicting entries
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:04:55 -0400

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:12:33 +0200 Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
wrote:
> > ```
> >  λ guix upgrade *
> > The following packages will be upgraded:
> >    emacs-guix                (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-company        (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-descbinds      (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-eww            (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-org            (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-selector       (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-shell-history  (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-slime          (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-sly            (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-switch-to-repl (dependencies or package changed)
> >    emacs-helm-xref           (dependencies or package changed)
> >
> > guix upgrade: error: profile contains conflicting entries for emacs-helm
> > guix upgrade: error:   first entry: emacs-helm@3.8.4
> > /gnu/store/zgssj5rwwzs300sqjhfmp7a00hfvm9d9-emacs-helm-3.8.4
> > guix upgrade: error:    ... propagated from emacs-helm-company@0.2.5
> > guix upgrade: error:   second entry: emacs-helm@3.8.5
> > /gnu/store/w904rarv3izkxjkzrj0rr3h9dn2rljx3-emacs-helm-3.8.5
> > hint: Try upgrading both `emacs-helm-company' and `emacs-helm', or remove
> > one of them from the profile.
> > ```
> >
> > Is the hint what I should really do or is there a fix that should be
> > made to one of the packages?
>
> I'm only seeing one emacs-helm package in the source code.
I had both emacs-helm-company' and `emacs-helm` installed.

It looks like ambrevar had both in a manifest below too on line 49 and
52 of his dotfiles:

https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/dotfiles/-/blob/master/.package-lists/guix-emacs-manifest.scm#L52

> What happens when you run `guix upgrade` without the star?

I'll try rolling back soon and reporting here to confirm what happens
without the star in that generation that had the issue.

thanks,

jgart