Re: guix pull; guix package -u; sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config

From: David Lecompte
Subject: Re: guix pull; guix package -u; sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 06:50:36 +0000

Hallo Gottfried,

Le jeudi 07 avril 2022 à 20:40 +0000, Gottfried a écrit :
> But what is with "guix package -u"
> When I did it two days ago it took 6 hours. I couldn't swich off my
> laptop. So I can do it only when having a lot of time.
> Normally it took approx. 30 min

I use guix on Trisquel but perhaps it is the same situation, more or
less.

If it takes 6h instead of 30 minutes, it may be because there is no
subtitute available for some package, so your computer is compiling the
source, which takes time (on my laptop, it can be more than 2 days for
ungoogled-chromium alone, of course I only did it once).

To avoid that, after "guix pull", I run "guix weather `guix package --
list-installed | cut -f1`". If it says 100% substitutes are available,
I run "guix package -u", otherwise, I wait a few days and do "guix
pull" and "guix weather `guix package --list-installed | cut -f1`"
again.

Also, I added bordeaux.guix.gnu.org as a substitutes server, as it
often has more substitutes available than ci.guix.gnu.org. You can
check the manual to do that.

I have never used profiles but I guess this is a way to split packages
so that you can upgrade only a subset of packages, for which hopefully
substitutes are available (you can use "guix weather" to check).

> If I don't need always the latest version, I can do it once a month
> or once in two month
> Is that okay?

That is a question I am unable to answer, but if anyone has some
insight, I'd be highly interested.

David.