Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)

From: Hubert Lombard
Subject: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 19:34:22 +0200

Hello Guix!

I've been using Guix System for 4 years now, the only one installed on
my laptop.

Already the 0.14 was more stable than anything else according to my
modest estimations.

For the 10th anniversary I translated, among others, the blog
announcement
https://guix.gnu.org/fr/blog/2022/10-years-of-stories-behind-guix/

on https://debian-facile.org/viewtopic.php?pid=379708#p379708
hoping that it will attract people...

I found fascinating the testimonies of the various contributors.

Thanks to you, I was able to contribute a little to the translation of
the manual into French in 2020 I think... Thanks again to Julien for
putting up with me ;)

I must admit that it took me some time to get over it :) Then, I missed
time and energy, but this experience was so nice that I wanted to thank
you for it. It is not sure that I will translate again, but you never
know... For this purpose, I noticed the new recommendations

https://guix.gnu.org/fr/manual/devel/fr/html_node/Traduire-Guix.html#Traduire-Guix

 as well as the Weblate instance, used once or twice before the pause
of these first exciting contributions. This page is full of details and
I think it is very useful for people who want to contribute to the
translation.

Congratulations to Luis Felipe for the "10 Years ..." logo
https://guix.gnu.org/static/blog/img/10-years-of-guix_colorful-10.gif

I paint pictures with oil and acrylic paint. Once photographed, the
image processing is done with Gimp. If I put some of them under a free
license, it might be a good idea to decorate some native Guix video
games...

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image2.php#grand-format

Also, I love the Hurd (without knowing much about it). I was amazed to
successfully install K9 in 2004, on real hardware. Without having
really used it for a long time, I was able to live some moments of pure
enchantment. A few years later, I also had the chance to exchange a few
words with Samuel Thibault at the RMLL in Bordeaux.

That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
works) to guix-hurd!

For a guix-hurd logo, I could just join the two with Inkscape, adapt
the license and give a little personal touch...

What do you think? Guix is a great adventure to contribute to at any
level, and I would be happy to participate again.

You, as well as Luis Felipe, would tell me what you think...

I have a lot of technical questions, but that's for another time... :)

See you soon Guix o/

Hubert, aka user_oreloznog on #guix
--
Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>