A package search engine for a curated list of channels

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: A package search engine for a curated list of channels
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 13:51:14 +0000

Hello,

it would be nice to be able to search for a package (and/or a service)
by name or description etc. through many channels. AFAIK, there's no
such search engine yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm considering to implement it. I'd suggest to approach it with a
server where (1) Guix is installed; (2) a long list of channels is
activated; (3) a cron-job or so which regularly runs `guix pull`; (4) a
web-api-service written in Guile which leverages the Guix-library in
order to search for packages (-- I guess it'd be calling the
`guix-package*` function from /guix/scripts/package.scm?); (5) a
simplistic front-end web-site which talks to the web-api.

I post this to help-guix instead of the devel-mailing-list because this
is not about development on Guix itself.

Kindly
Mekeor