Re: Questions regarding substitutes with debug output

From: Olivier Dion
Subject: Re: Questions regarding substitutes with debug output
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:17:46 -0400

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>> Even if I were to import locally defined packages, their dependencies
>> would come from the Guix's main channel!
>
> What would you think about WITH-CHANNELS that would accept a list of
> channels and evaluate any package reference in its body within an
> inferior of those channels?
>
> E.g.
>
> (with-channels %my-channels
>   (package
>     (name "yay")
>
>     (inputs
>       (list foo bar baz)) ;these are all looked up in %my-channels
>
>     (license gpl3+)))

What about dependencies?  Says I have the following graph:

 G <- Guix's channel
 C <- My channel

 P@V <- My package at version V from C
 D@U <- Dependency of P at version U from G

The `guix time-machine` allows me to pin the commits of G and C and thus
pinning V and U.  Would that work the with WITH-CHANNELS ?

--
Olivier Dion
oldiob.dev