Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 14:08:05 +0000

Hi,

Is this under X or Wayland? Please see if the eyes in 'xeyes' follow
your mouse. In X, you can try something like

     xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto --left-of LVDS-1

xrandr will tell you the names of all available outputs when you run
it without arguments.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto --left-of LVDS-1
-bash: xrandr: Kommando nicht gefunden.

xrandr seems to be not installed.
gfp@Tuxedo ~$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

so I am in Xorg.

I forgot to say that Debian manages very well the GUI/Desktops
So for Guix it will be still much work to improve on that,
in order that Guix becomes like Debian.
Debian works well with the proprietory software.
Without them there are problems. This is my experience.

If it is possible to use Debian testing without proprietary software
it would be an alternative, but we would need somebody who tells us if that works well.

GDM should offer a MATE session in the login screen when both are
installed, but I haven't tried.

I can try to install it. hopefully it will work.

Kind regards

Gottfried