Re: desktop services

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: desktop services
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 17:53:36 +0800

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 1.
> In the manual 12.9.9 there are several desktop services mentioned
>
> But cinnamon-desktop and kde plasma-desktop is not mentioned,
> even though you can download the cinnamon and plasma-desktop packages.
>
> Are the mentioned desktop services like Gnome, XFCE, MATE only examples
> and cinnamon and plasma are not mentioned?
> or is the cinnamon and plasma desktop not available/working yet,
> even though the packages can be downloaded?

Those "desktop services" provide additional functions / integrations for
desktop environments, notable are screen backlight control, screensaver,
etc.  When a desktop service is available, it means the desktop
environment is well supported / tested.  For cinnamon and plasma, while
most seperated packages are packaged, they're not well integrated /
tested, missing some functions and need some future works.

> 2.
> You can download the desktop environment "XFCE 4.18.2"
> Additionally there are many other XFCE packages available for download.
>
> Are those additional packages completely separate packages
> which I can additionally install?
> or are some of them included in the  main "xfce 4.18.2" package?
>
> How can I know which packages are included in the main xfce 4.18.2
> package? Which command tells me that?
> in order not to install something twice?

Run 'guix show xfce' show what included in the xfce meta package,
basically the core desktop packages.  Additional applications or plugins
can be install seperated.

> Or is it no problem to install something twice, Guix will tell me that
> and handle it.

Yes, there are no problem.

Hope this help!