Re: guix shell without arguments

From: André A . Gomes
Subject: Re: guix shell without arguments
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 19:19:25 +0300

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

> On ven., 12 mai 2023 at 14:06, André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The incantation below creates an empty environment.  But wouldn't it be
>> nice if it would infer manifest.scm or guix.scm, in case they exist in
>> the current directory?

>> guix shell -- foo-command
>
> That’s already the case, no?   From the manual:
>
>     If it finds a manifest.scm in the current working directory or any
>     of its parents, it uses this manifest as though it was given via
>     --manifest. Likewise, if it finds a guix.scm in the same
>     directories, it uses it to build a development profile as though
>     both --development and --file were present. In either case, the file
>     will only be loaded if the directory it resides in is listed in
>     ~/.config/guix/shell-authorized-directories. This provides an easy
>     way to define, share, and enter development environments.
>
>     <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix-shell>
>
> Is it a regression?

Hello Simon,

Indeed, I have interpreted that section from the manual in the same as
you did.  However, as I've mentioned in the previous message, "guix
shell -- foo-command" creates an empty environment and then runs
foo-command (regardless of the existence of guix/manifest.scm).

I don't think it ever behaved otherwise, and this seems to be backed by
Dave's message.  Dave, indeed, I belong to that 1st group of people that
expect a DWIM behaviour.

Thanks.

--
André A. Gomes