Re: guix shell without arguments

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: guix shell without arguments
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 14:05:07 +0200

Hi Dave,

On Fri, 12 May 2023 at 12:14, "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu>
wrote:

> It *sounds* like it should be the case, but it isn't. Specifying the
> command to run explicitly is considered a non-interactive case, and in
> non-interactive mode the automagic guix.scm/manifest.scm reading does
> not occur. :(

Oh, I see.  Thanks for the reminder <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57467>.

Hum, as you note in [1], maybe there are 2 tools with contradictory
needs.  Well, I think that GUIX_EXTENSIONS_PATHS is not enough used as a
mean for testing new CLI.  I mean, we could imagine an extension that
would be installable as a regular package and then it would provide the
CLI you would like.  Well, I do not know if it is a good idea to
overwrite built-in commands but extensions would allow to test various
CLI, IMHO.

1:
https://yhetil.org/guix/CAJ=RwfaYrJqcREgbww_XmfBzsfTjF+9tiLm2Zb0N9Dq8puS=SA@mail.gmail.com

Cheers,