Re: to save my Guix System installation

From: Skyler
Subject: Re: to save my Guix System installation
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 01:09:23 +0000

If you declared all your packages in the file that contains your
operating-system definition then you can just save that file and point a new
guix installation towards it to restore your configuration. If you've run
imperative commands (for example, `guix install some-package`) then you'll need
to record those separately, `guix package -I` will list all of the packages
that you've installed imperatively. I'm not sure about other imperative
actions, I'm obsessive about doing things declaratively exactly because it
makes this kind of situation easy to deal with (I have a habit of bungling up
my machines and needing to install them fresh). If you can share more details
about how you have configured your guix system then I might be able to offer
more specific advice.

Of course, this will do nothing to save your data, if you have data documents
or other files in your home directory that are not system configuration then
those will need to be saved separately in either case.

Sincerely,
Skyler